Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pink Depression Glass

I have a cabinet filled with Depression Era glassware. When my grandmother passed in 2001, I received her collection of candlewick dishes and depression glass serving ware. I have lovely childhood memories of helping my grandmother set the table for big family dinners. She would hoist me onto the stool in the kitchen, on which she used to set my mom as a little girl, and give me the task of lining her relish dish with sweet pickles. With the clank of the pickle jar lid on the counter, I would shove my fingers deep into the pickle jar and pluck out each sticky, sweet Gerkin and lay it neatly on the dish. With green juice dripping down to my elbows, I would lick my fingers and show Grandma my neatly arranged emerald green pickles.

I always loved her collection of glassware and thought she was such a refined and fancy lady. I felt so special when I found out she left those pieces to me. With every dinner party, I make sure to use a few pieces of my collection and say a little, "Thanks, Lucille." under my breath as I serve my friends and family. Every time I swing by a flea market or antique shop, I have to stop myself from buying more. They are such timeless pieces.

Depression glass was manufactured in the late 1920's and 1930's. The glass is either translucent or lightly colored; pink, jade green, cobalt blue, canary yellow, ruby red, and white milk glass were common colors. It was very inexpensive for middle-class ladies to purchase, and often they could buy a box of Quaker Oats and dig a small piece out for free! Movie theaters would also bring in viewers by offering a free piece of glassware with a purchase of a ticket. Oh how times have changed... The glassware is very collectible now, and you can find it in flea markets, antique shops, Etsy and Ebay.

Here are some beautiful pink depression glass items I found on Etsy, just in time for Valentine's Day. They make lovely gifts for brides and mothers!

Candle Sticks
Cream and Sugar Set

Candy or Jewelry Dish
Sandwich Platter
Footed Candy Dish
Gravy Bowl and Spoon

Sherbet Dish


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...