Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hummingbird Cupcakes

A couple months ago, I hosted a "Mom's Night In" at my house for my "mom friends." We spent the evening decorating cupcakes, drinking champagne and eating too many cupcakes. It was a good night.

I wanted to share my favorite traditional southern cake with the girls and prepared hummingbird cupcakes in advance for the party. This decadent and tropical cake is made with bananas, crushed pineapple, pecans and spices, and topped with cream cheese frosting.

Hummingbird cake was first published in Southern Living magazine in 1978. The recipe was submitted by Mrs. L. H. Wiggins of Greensboro, NC. The origin of the cake's name and recipe are unknown, but food historians {The Food Timeline} believe the cake originated in Jamaica. The hummingbird {aka "Dr. Bird" in the island nation} is one of Jamaica's national symbols.


{View the original recipe in Southern Living.}

I garnished my cupcakes with dried pineapple flowers {I followed Annie's Eats tutorial.}. I think it's always a good idea to decorate a cupcake with one of the ingredients. It's helpful for your guests to know what flavors to expect before taking a bite. It's also a great idea if you are concerned about your guests having a food allergy, especially with nuts.

My first round of pineapple flowers were a bust. My oven does not heat evenly, and the first batch was scorched. Second time around, I made sure to rotate my cookie trays halfway through each 30 minute baking time.



You can see they still caramelized quite a bit on the edges. I found that it's crucial to slice the pineapple as thin as possible. Using a serrated knife will help. Like good barbeque, cook them low and slow. 200-225ยบ F for 30 minutes on each side. Once they are dried out, place the flowers in the cupcake pan.


Leave the flowers in the cupcake tin for a while. Make these ahead of time and just let them sit and continue to dry out. They are so delicious! It was so hard to not devour these before the party!

Do you love hummingbird cupcakes? What's your favorite cake? I want to hear from you!

Wishing you a sweet Thursday!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...